Health and living digest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Ukwa porridge is a nutritious and delicious meal which can be prepared in a variety of ways. You can roast, mash or make it into a porridge. The seeds used in preparing this delicacy are extracted from the breadfruit. Ukwa is rich in protein, unsaturated fat and fiber. This a pretty easy and straightforward dish to make but the seeds takes time to soften. Follow this recipe to get my sumptuous result.
Ukwa porridge Recipe
500g of ukwa
1 scotch bonnet pepper
3 tablespoon ground crayfish
2 medium dry fish
3 tablespoon palm oil
½ cup uziza chopped
1 large onions
1 chicken stock cube
2 sun dried tomato
Wash Ukwa thoroughly, till water is clean and free of particles.
Pour into a medium saucepan or pressure cooker and add water. Boil till it starts to get soft. This should take between 40-60 mins.
When it begins to get soft to touch, reduce heat and add chicken stock, chopped onion, crayfish, pepper, palm oil, uziza, dry fish and salt to taste.
Bring to a boil on high till its soft and marshy. Taste for salt add more if needed. Add the sun dried tomato. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes.
Allow to cool. Serve with corn and veggies.
To get it soft faster you may add 1 tsp of potash or baking soda.
Cooked Corn or other veggies can be added directly into ukwa within the last few minutes or served along with it.
Palm oil can be substituted with any oil of your choice.
You can use other herbs like nchanwu or basil in place of uziza.
- 500g of ukwa
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 2 medium dry fish
- 3 tablespoon palm oil
- ½ cup uziza chopped
- 1 large onions
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Sun dried tomato
- Wash Ukwa thoroughly, till water is clean and free of particles.
- Pour into a medium saucepan or pressure cooker add water and boil till it starts to get soft. This should take between 40-60 mins.
- When it begins to get soft to touch, reduce heat and add chicken stock, chopped onion, crayfish,pepper, palm oil, uziza, dry fish and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil on high till it's soft and marshy then taste for salt, add the sundried tomato tomato, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Serve with corn and mixed veggies.