Homemade milks are made with a variety of nuts, seeds. natural sweeteners and flavors. They are free of additives and preservatives. As with all homemade products, you can control the quantity, quality and ingredients in your milk. There are many reasons to seek homemade milk alternatives to dairy milk. Some of the reasons includes;
- Lactose intolerance
- To avoid milk from antibiotic laden cows
- Dietary and allergy concerns
Here are some homemade milk alternative and recipes you can use to make your own milk.
5 Homemade Milk Alternatives and Recipes
Cashew Milk Recipe
Cashews are rich in Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Iron. Enjoy your dairy free milk with this recipe
1 cup raw cashew
2 cups filtered water
1 Tbs maple syrup, raw honey, 2 pitted dates or 2 Tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Dash of salt (optional)
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until its smooth and creamy.
- Using a nut milk bag, strain contents of blender into a large bowl
- pour the milk in a mason jar and refrigerate.
Coconut Milk Recipe
Coconut is high in fiber and contains zero cholesterol. This makes it a heart-healthy food to complement your diet if you are on a low cholesterol meal plan.
1/2 cup coconut flesh
2 to 3 drops vanilla, 1 tbs maple syrup or honey
1/2 cup filtered water
1. Blend all ingredients until its smooth.
3. Cool and refrigerate for up to three days.
4. Shake before using.
Rice Milk Recipe
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups filtered water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- vanilla or chocolate (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend till its smooth and creamy.
- Strain in a nut milk bag or fine mesh sieve and gently squeeze
- Pour in an airtight container and refrigerate
Hemp Milk Recipe
Hemp seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, Vitamin A, B, D,E and many more nutrients. Its a great homemade milk alternative.
1 cup hemp seeds
4 cups filtered water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth
- Pour into a cheese cloth and sieve
- Store in a jar, in the fridge. Shake well before using.
Soy milk Recipe
Soy milk is a healthy homemade milk alternative, it contains 75% more antioxidants than dairy milk. Soybeans is from plants, it is free of cholesterol, low in saturated fat, and contains no lactose. It is also a good source of plant based protein, minerals and various vitamins.
1 cup dry soybean
3 cup filtered water
Vanilla , honey or maple syrup for sweetener
- Wash soybean with water and soak in 7 cups of water for 10 hours.
- Drain and pour beans into a food processor or blender and puree till it’s smooth and creamy
- Pour 2 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high hcoconut milk
- eat. Stir in soy bean mixture using a wooden spoon. Bring mixture to a simmer and immediately remove from heat.
- Line a fine mesh sieve set over a large bowl with cheesecloth. Pour soy bean mixture into lined sieve
- Allow it to cool down
- Squeeze remaining soy milk through cheesecloth
- Return the soy milk to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, Simmer gently until the milk loses its raw bean flavor, this should take about 6-10 minute.
- Stir in your choice of sweetener to taste. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
[amazon_link asins=’B001OJGW9Y,B00VUKR8UO’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’healthandl0e6-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’be158c6a-12a0-11e7-a961-675d806a535c’] [amazon_link asins=’B007XGTXJS,B00YNZGQJM’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’healthandl0e6-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’23bb6e10-12a1-11e7-9047-8799f841aa06′] [amazon_link asins=’B0083V6UKC’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’healthandl0e6-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’7f6acdc5-12a1-11e7-bc03-9f8bd882117f’]