It can be really frustrating when trying to make kids eat healthy and balanced diet. Most kids don’t mind having sweets and candies all day but when presented with vegetables and healthy meals, they refuse to even take a bite. It’s our duty as parents to get our children to eat healthy, nutritious and vitamin rich food that will nurture and help them develop just like they should.
How to make kids eat healthy
- Allow your kids to make their choice: You can encourage your kids to eat by presenting them with healthy options and allowing them choose. Letting kids feel they are in control is a great way to get them to eat healthy.
- Set a good example by eating healthy and nutritious meals.: Kids imitate what they see. If they see you grab an orange, they are more likely to get one themselves. Don’t ask your kid to eat spinach while you chow down on cakes and ice cream.
- Keep healthy food within sight:
Stock up on fruits, vegetables and healthy drinks. Keep them within your kids reach so that they avoid snacking on unhealthy food.
- Be patient with your kids: It often takes time for kids to get used to certain foods. Don’t force them to eat any food if they reject them. Just keep putting little amounts of it in their plate and offering it as an option.
- Get them involved: Go grocery shopping with your kids and let them participate in choosing things for meal preparation. Also involve them when cooking. Getting them involved will make them interested in eating.
- Make eating fun: Make mealtime a fun time by making each meal appealing to your kids. You can make a meal more interesting by Serving vegetable with dip or sauce or adding sliced fruits to cereal.
- Minimize distractions: Turn off the TV or any electronically gadget that might distract them while eating.
- Don’t ban any food or treat entirely, instead limit the amount they are allowed to eat. Banning any food will only make kids yearn for them and when they finally lay their hands on them they will overeat. Banning food may result to them binging and developing an unhealthy eating habit.
- Sneak vegetables into meals they like: You can get your kids to eat veggies by adding it into their favorite dish. For example, you can add spinach or any veggies of your choice into scrambled egg or use cauliflower as pizza base.