Dandruff isn’t contagious or serious, but it can be embarrassing and sometimes difficult to treat. Dandruff is characterized by itchy and flaking scalp. While using an anti dandruff shampoo may appear like an easier solution for dandruff, often these shampoos are made with harmful, chemicals. These natural alternatives on the other hand are safe and have no side effects. Read on for natural at home treatments for dandruff.
Apple cider vinegar Dandruff Treatment
The acidity of apple cider vinegar changes the pH of your scalp making it hard for yeast to grow. It will also get rid of the flaking skin. The only down side is the smell of vinegar which will go away once you wash it off. This treatment is best used overnight when you are home and washed off in the morning to get rid of the smell.
- Mix equal parts of Apple cider vinegar and water.
- Pour the mixture in to a spray bottle and spray directly on your scalp.
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingers for 2-3 minutes.
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap or a towel and leave the mixture for about 10-15 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment daily for about a week until flaking disappears and scalp gets back to normal.
Before proceeding with this treatment patch test your skin to see if you are sensitive to this it or develop any skin irritation. You can get your organic apple cider vinegar here Bragg USDA Gluten Free Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, With the Mother, 16oz
Baking Soda Dandruff Treatment
This baking ingredient can also be very helpful in getting rid of dandruff. It acts as an exfoliant by helping to eliminate dead skin cells.
3 tablespoon of baking soda
A few drops of water
- Mix baking soda and water to form a paste.
- Wet your hair and rub the baking soda on your scalp.
- Leave it on your scalp for 20 minutes and rinse out
You may need to use it for several weeks before you see improvement.
Raw Honey Dandruff Treatment
Dandruff is a fungal infection and raw honey is anti-fungal. It can help kill off the fungus and reduce inflammation. A mixture of 90% Raw honey diluted with 10% water applied to the scalp can help you get rid of dandruff.
- After washing your hair. Mix 5 tablespoons of raw honey and 1 tablespoon of water together.
- Massage into wet scalp for 2-3 minutes, then let it sit for three hours.
- Rinse it out.
- Follow this up with 1/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup water to condition your hair.
- Repeat every other day till flaking disappears and scalp returns back to its normal state.
You can get all natural raw honey here Nature Nate’s 100% Pure, Raw and Unfiltered Honey, 32 Ounce
Olive oil moisturizes dry areas of the scalp, it hydrates and loosens the flaking skin. Apply olive oil before washing your hair. Leave it on scalp for about 5-10 minutes before washing your hair. Before going to bed, apply olive oil into your scalp. Massage for about 3 minutes. wrap your head in a towel or cotton cap, to absorb the excess oil.
Coconut oil Dandruff Treatment
Coconut oil is an amazing oil with anti-fungal properties. It kills fungus and helps eliminate dandruff. Just a few teaspoons applied to the hair and scalp regularly can help hydrate the scalp, get rid of flaking and provide a nice shine to your hair.
5 tablespoons organic coconut oil
7 drops of tea tree oil
- Melt some organic coconut oil and add 7 drops of pure tea tree oil.
- Massage evenly on your scalp.
- Leave on scalp overnight and wash of in the morning.
- Repeat daily till dandruff is completely gone.