Health and living digest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Despite the effort most people put in to keep their home clean, many hidden toxins and bacteria can still build up and cause a variety of health problems. Being informed can give you a better understanding of how your home may be putting your family’s health at risk and how to prevent it. Here are six hidden health hazards in your home that may be making you sick.
Furnitures and Bedding
Dust mites are tiny microscopic creatures that live and multiply easily in warm and humid places. They are often found on mattresses, carpets, pillows and upholstered furnitures. They feed on flakes of shed human skin. Dust mites thrive in temperature of 68 to 78 degrees and humidity level of 70 to 80 percent. The waste products of dust mite can set off allergic reaction for someone who has asthma or allergies. Dust mites can be managed in the following ways.
- Wash pillows, bed sheets and blankets in hot water.
- Encase your mattress and pillow in dust proof covers.
- Never use a dry cloth to clean dust because it will stir up dust mites and make it spread. use damp or wet cloth instead.
- Keep humidity low.
- Vacuum and dust regularly.
Bathrooms provides molds with everything it needs to thrive. The moisture in the bathroom or shower areas can lead to growth of mold on the wall and tile. Exposure to mold can cause a variety of health problem. Mold can be controlled by doing the following.
- Ventilating cooking and shower area.
- Fixing any leaky roof or plumbing problem.
- Removing bedding, pillows and upholstery that cannot be dried.
Adhesive used to bind Laminated wooden floors have been found to emit formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a colourless gas with a strong odour. Exposure to this gas can cause adverse health problems such as eyes, nose and throat irritation and other respiratory problems.
Lead was used in making house paint. Houses that were built before 1978 had lead paint in them. Lead poisoning occur when lead builds up in the body over a period time. Children are at a greater risk because it can affect their developing nerves and brain. Younger children tend to put objects in their mouth and can mistake a flaking lead paint for sweet. Lead is a toxic chemical that can lead to a variety of health problems. It can also be found in:
- Water from old lead pipes
- Products imported from countries that have no lead regulation
- Lead contaminated soil
If you suspect your home have been contaminated by lead, call in professionals to confirm and get rid of it promptly.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas. It is a poisonous gas that can be fatal if inhaled in a concentrated quantity. Household appliances, such as the heating system, cookers, furnaces, stoves, lanterns, grills or fireplace are possible sources of carbon monoxide poisoning. The following can be done to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Household appliances should be regularly serviced by qualified and registered professionals.
- All rooms should be well ventilated.
- Installing carbon monoxide alarms in your home can alert you when there is a high level of carbon monoxide.
- Never burn charcoal indoor.
- Chimneys can get blocked by debris. Make sure it is cleaned regularly to prevent blockage.
- Don’t use generator inside your home or less than 20 feet from any door, window or vent.
- Never run your car in a closed garage attached to your home.
Heating and cooling system
When the heating and cooling system is dirty, particles in the air duct gets blown into the home. These particles enter the airways with each breath you take and this can trigger allergy symptoms, asthma, respiratory infections and sinus problems. Dirty air ducts can cause a variety of health problems and this can be prevented by having your air ducts cleaned regularly by professional cleaners.